Joan Houston Hall, chief editor of DARE, on the completion of the dictionary and her work on the project over the last 35 years.
See which communities DARE visited in your state
Hear audio samples that demonstrate the rich variety of American language.
Do you know a toot from a tush hog? Take our quiz and find out!
DARE chief editor Joan Houston Hall discusses the five-decades-long project.
DARE in the media
- What is your favourite word? Jul 7, 2016 | ABC (Australia)
- Yinz, youse, and y’all Jan 19, 2016 | Columbia Journalism Review
- Droppin’ the U (and G): The Pacific Northwest Accent, Analyzed Dec 28, 2015 | The Corvallis Advocate
- Digital ‘DARE’ Update: Half-Price Holiday Special Dec 14, 2015 | The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Updating the Dictionary of American Regional English Dec 1, 2015 | WISC-TV
- More »